23 September 2003
Once again, the horns of a dilemma.
I'd like to get out of this semi-shabby hovel once and for all my lease is up in December but I don't want to go looking for another flat, or even a house, that I'll have to vacate at some unspecified time.
The alternative, therefore, is to go buy something. Unfortunately, I can't really afford something, except at the very bottom of the desirability scale, and buying a place I'm going to dislike intensely simply doesn't strike me as useful.
The alternative to the alternative is to wait two years, when my debt load will be roughly halved and I will presumably have far greater flexibility. The downside: well, it's two whole years, and who knows what will have happened to interest rates by then?
Too often, my response to a question of this sort is to do nothing. I suspect it will happen this time too.
Posted at 7:49 AM to General Disinterest
I think you should check into purchasing a home. I was amazed at how much home I was allowed to purchase in spite of the indebteness I was already carrying.
I second ms7168's comment...when we bought the home we are now in (our first!), I was sure -- absolutely, positively, beyond-doubt sure -- that the bank officer would point, giggle uncontrollably, and call other bank employees over to take joy in my abject misery and shame.
But she didn't. Go for it, Charles - what have you got to lose? The worst that they can say is "no" - for now.
If I wanted someone to tell me No, I'd ask someone out.
Charles, I think you should not only ask for a loan but also ask someone out! You are too hard on yourself.
Well, I certainly can't bring someone home now.
And besides, I'm hard on everybody, not just me.
Chaz, my wife and I have bought homes twice. And both times the loan officers did, in fact, point and giggle. But they also needed cash flow and our cash flows as good as anybody's.
I second -- well, third -- no, fourth -- no -- aw nuts, I lost count.
Anyway, buy a freakin' house already.