24 November 2005
Reasons for gratitude
Just a few that come to mind this morning here in the U. S. of A.:
- A relatively low incidence of street fighting.
- The fact that someone can close a major manufacturing facility without a Federal investigation ensuing.
- Knowing that sleeping until 9 am tomorrow, thereby missing all the Deals of the Century, is no big deal.
- Remembering that "crushing dissent" here means application of the taunt and the shun, not the thumbscrew and the firing squad.
- Happy couples, even if I'm not part of one.
- My very own soapbox, for a relative pittance.
- The sensation, at least on the local level, that my humongous tax bill is actually doing something.
- The fact that two years ago, I was somewhat overextended and living in a crummy flat, and now I'm in a relatively nice house of my own and still only somewhat overextended.
- Six thousand people come to read this stuff every week.
For a dyed-in-the-wool ingrate like me, this is quite a list.
Posted at 10:15 AM to General Disinterest
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! --Donna (1/6,000)
Much for which to be thankful! Happy Thanksgiving, Charles.
Re 'street fighting': I did a series of posts on a documentary called "Street Fight", which concerned the 2002 Newark elections. Ever since I have gotten a huge number of hits from people looking for videos of street fights, which is a substantial industry.
This does not invalidate your point, that our streets are relatively free of such things.
There is greatness in a land where 6000 people a week are privileged to read a blog such as Dustbury.