Justin Bieber: Is he more like Andy Gibb or Shaun Cassidy?
It’s tricky because there are so many available points of comparison. A few possibilities:
- Still alive: Gibb, no; Cassidy, yes; Bieber, yes.
- Owes much of his career to sibling(s): Gibb: yes; Cassidy, no; Bieber: no.
- Owes much of his career to screaming teenage girls: Gibb: yes; Cassidy, yes; Bieber, yes.
- Issues with voice changing: Gibb, no; Cassidy, no; Bieber, yes.
- Godawful cover version: Gibb, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” (duet with Victoria Principal); Cassidy, “Da Doo Ron Ron”; Bieber, none yet, unless you want to count his Christmas album.
- likelihood of flourishing post-musical career: Gibb, no (died); Cassidy, yes (established TV writer/producer); Bieber, too early to tell.
And I suppose I should mention this:
- How many singles did I buy? Gibb, two; Cassidy, none; Bieber, one.
Admittedly, the Bieber song I bought, “Pray,” is his least successful: it didn’t even chart in his native Canada.