Different word processors generate different word counts on same document. Slight differences in the algorithm turn out to make a difference.
And he links to this analysis, which may be of interest to legal types mandated to keep it short.
Once again, I’m (slightly) ahead of the curve. From last summer, while I was working on what turned into a novella:
I am becoming persuaded that every editor in existence counts them differently. Google is full of people who have found discrepancies between how many words they think they wrote and how many words Microsoft Word thinks they wrote.
I didn’t pay any attention to this phenomenon, of course, until I landed here. I wrote The Sparkle Chronicles in the WordPress editor, since it’s the one I use most often these days. The three chapters published here so far are listed at 3278 + 2830 + 3886 = 9994 words. WordPress says 3186 + 2727 + 3720 = 9633.
Final word count was 18,589 — more or less. And I must rehash this hash from the winter before, simply as a rebuke to myself:
I seriously doubt I could put together a decent 4000-word short story.
Well, you can’t win ’em all.