Existence, meet bane

I have grumbled at length about the dumber members of our customer base, who by the usual reckoning bring in 15 percent of the revenue and cause 85 percent of the extra work.

This ratio holds for pretty much any form of commerce, I suspect, but I have reason to believe that this particular goober fighting with Woot is also one of the goobers we must endure — the level of doofusness is that high:

Millard is mad at deal-a-day site Woot because he bought a black iPod from them and it came with white headphones. He demands black headphones.

Millard does not care that Apple only makes white ones (unless you’re getting special U2 iPods, which this wasn’t). Now he wants Woot to pay for the black headphones he was “forced” to buy so they would match. It was very important to both him and his daughter, for whom the iPod was a birthday gift, that the headphones and iPod matched.

It evidently wasn’t very important to him to look at the farging picture on the page offering the iPod; had he clicked on the picture he would have seen exactly what phones were offered. This is a standard Woot procedure. But hey, that would have required effort (to learn how Woot works) and initiative (to go beyond “I Want”), neither of which is characteristic of these, um, characters.







5 comments

  1. fillyjonk »

    15 October 2008 · 9:57 am

    My personal rule is 80/20; that’s close.

    80 percent of the problems are caused by 20 percent of the people. 80 percent of my incipient burnout is caused by 20 percent of the students.

    On the other hand, the same ratio works for volunteer work: 80 percent of the work is done by 20 percent of the people. And a corollary: trying to get some of the remaining 80 percent to do the un-done 20 percent usually isn’t wasting your breath over.

    I don’t know if there’s been an uptick in the sort of idiotic entitlement mentality you described, or if we’re just hearing about it more. Probably 3/4 of the “you gotta hear this” stories that my colleagues and I share involve people with the idea the Universe exists solely to serve their desires.

  2. fillyjonk »

    15 October 2008 · 10:00 am

    And another observation:

    The people causing the most trouble tend to be the ones least inclined to thank you for helping them when it’s all said and done.

    I know, I know, a person should not EXPECT to be thanked, but my parents raised ME to say “thank you” when someone does some act of assistance, so I’m kind of programmed for it…

  3. steffanie malan »

    15 October 2008 · 5:49 pm

    I encountered one of the *top* fools from the shallow end of the gene pool today; my cable keeps fading in and out so a tech arrived. I found out that the wireless cards in both desktops and both notebooks are bad and all went bad at the same time. Never mind that I was able to see my router from the notebook….

  4. CGHill »

    15 October 2008 · 6:08 pm

    Now that’s impressive. I’ve never been able to get more than one at a time to fail.

    Last time I had an issue with a cable guy, it was delightful; he explained that they’d suspended my service because of issues with my phone service. I don’t get my phone service from you, I said; he wouldn’t believe it until he got his hot little hands into the network interface.

  5. CGHill »

    21 October 2008 · 8:52 am

    To follow up: Woot is offering to take back the aggrieved putz’s iPod and refund his payment in full.

RSS feed for comments on this post