1 October 2006

This story's just six words long

Ernest Hemingway, it is said, once came up with a short story — a good one, yet — that ran all of six words: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." As nanofiction goes, if it's not the standard-bearer, it's pretty darn close: how much of a tale can you tell in half a dozen words? There's "In the beginning was the Word," same length, but not what I think of as fiction.

Caterina Fake is collecting samples from her readers. Here are some I particularly liked:

Lucky, yes, but my twin wasn't.

She loved again. I never did.

Today, I threw her toothbrush away.

They do seem to be somewhat sad, don't they?

(The best short story I ever wrote took a whole 804 words.)

Posted at 6:46 PM to Almost Yogurt

TrackBack: 6:49 PM, 2 October 2006
» Comment Fiction from Yippee-Ki-Yay!
Partly due to this at Dustbury, I found myself remembering this comment I posted at Protein Wisdom a year and a half ago (this is the URL to the PW post). My comment at Dustbury was a paraphrase, of sorts, of the comment fiction at PW. ...[read more]

TrackBack: 12:03 PM, 3 October 2006
» I'm Liking This Bit Of Fun Stuff from The Crazy Rants of Samantha Burns
I was at Yippee-Ki-Yay's place (the sicko likes Mondays for some reason, by the way) when I came across a post that links to Dustbury who links to Caterina.net. Lol. Anyhow, the posts are regarding Ernest Hemingway's micro-short story that......[read more]

The winner for a short story combining religion, sex, royalty and mystery: "My God!" the Queen exclaimed. "I'm pregnant! Who could have done it?"

Posted by: Greg Hlatky at 8:19 PM on 1 October 2006

"Help me, Johnny!"

"Sorry, wrong number."

Posted by: McGehee at 9:33 PM on 1 October 2006

"The best short story I ever wrote took a whole 804 words."

And no link to it?

Yes, those stories are wonderfully evocative (they'd HAVE to be, wouldn't they?) and melancholy.

Posted by: Mister Snitch! at 10:19 PM on 1 October 2006

She has a fine blog. I added my 6 words.

Posted by: Mister Snitch! at 10:31 PM on 1 October 2006

Shortest sex manual: In. Out. Repeat.

Posted by: unimpressed at 11:34 PM on 1 October 2006

Here is my favorite nano-story, written by a friend, Gary Cadwallader:

Title: SPLAT!

Text:

Sorry, Tinkerbelle.

(END)

I really love its slow, careful development of the conflicts and dramatic interplay among the characters, don't you?

Posted by: Francis W. Porretto at 3:55 AM on 2 October 2006