18 October 2006

We are large, we contain multitudes

As I've noted before, I have a fairly common name. Based on its frequency, I guesstimated there might be as many as 8000 of us; I was apparently just a tad high.

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are:
4,288
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

(Via Swirlspice. As I could have told you, she's unique.)

Posted at 9:01 AM to General Disinterest

TrackBack: 2:47 PM, 18 October 2006
» How many of me from 111 Brad Street
Dustbury pointed me to this interesting site: There are 299,968,595 people in the United States of America. If everyone in the U.S. lined up single file, the line would stretch around the Earth almost 7 times. That's a lot of people. ...[read more]

TrackBack: 4:39 PM, 18 October 2006
» Non-person. from Progressive Reactionaries
According to HowManyOfMe.com: There are 4,500 people in the U.S. with the first name Moira. There are 12,269 people in......[read more]

TrackBack: 12:00 PM, 20 October 2006
» Feel Like A Number... from Miller's Time
A tip of the cap to Dustbury for the following distraction: HowManyOfMe.com There are:6,601people with my namein the U.S.A.How many have your name? I actually thought the number would be higher......[read more]

Disconcertingly, I don't even seem to exist: "There are zero persons with that name."

Posted by: Kirk Leggott at 9:05 AM on 18 October 2006

The dataset they're drawing from has its drawbacks.

Posted by: CGHill at 9:50 AM on 18 October 2006

It's not really checking for your full name; it's multiplying the probability of your first name by the probability of your last name, as if they were independent trials, i.e., as though your surname has no effect on the choice of first name.

That's why it says, for instance, that there are 14 persons named "Jesus Rosenthal" in our nation. I dare you to find one.

Posted by: Sean Gleeson at 11:02 AM on 18 October 2006

Or, better yet, two.

Posted by: Jesus Rosenthal at 11:14 AM on 18 October 2006

98.7% of people with my name are male. Shame on the parents of the 1.3%.

Posted by: Joel at 11:27 AM on 18 October 2006

It says there are only 2 people with my name. I can Google my name and find more than that. It was fun, but a little futile, IMHO.

Posted by: Brad at 2:42 PM on 18 October 2006

I'm one of the ZEROes, even though I know of TWO other people who share my name: one is a third cousin-once removed and the other is the son of a former US Congressman from Kentucky.

Posted by: Dan B at 2:43 PM on 18 October 2006

Doesn't even work for me - the site's bad JavaScript/DHTML doesn't activate the "first name" field for typing until the page is loaded (which never finishes because it can't load some of its own images and its favicon), and clicking or tabbing into it makes the field go away, as if you'd already typed something in it.

Maybe when it's out of beta and, you know, loads and works. I might try Firefox later, but this is rather simple stuff to mess up.

Posted by: Matt at 3:03 PM on 18 October 2006

There are 1,009,394 people in the U.S. with the first name Kevin. There are 8,399 people in the U.S. with the last name McGehee.

There are 28 people in the U.S. named Kevin McGehee.

So now you know why I chose my last name as my online handle.

Posted by: McGehee at 3:38 PM on 18 October 2006

Mine shows up with 9, but I bet 12 of those are misspelled

Posted by: Dwayne "the canoe guy" at 4:16 PM on 18 October 2006

Five. (NONE if I enter "Mister Snitch".)

Posted by: Mister Snitch! at 7:17 PM on 18 October 2006

And She Who Is Not To Be Named comes up a zero as well.

Posted by: CGHill at 1:18 PM on 19 October 2006

There are, according to this system, 251 John Salmons-I know of a jazz pianist who's stolen my name, as well as some loser at MIT, among others.

Posted by: John Salmon at 3:33 PM on 19 October 2006