27 November 2006

I don't think this is catching on

And by "this" I mean this:

Job hunters may commit their share of online gaffes and blunders, but an equal number are using the Web to their advantage with tools such as "thlogs," branded bios, and icons.

The immediate question, of course, is "WTF is a thlog?"

As chief executive officer of Leader Brand Strategists, [Vicki] Kunkel helps professionals create their Web-based images. She says her clients generally get hired in higher-paying positions than the average job hunter and many end up realizing their dreams after attracting an employer who was a good fit.

For instance, one of Kunkel's clients has great communication skills and loves children. Her dream is to give a voice to children on certain advocacy issues.

This client started her search by creating what Kunkel calls a "thlog," which is simply a blog that advocates a position and sticks with it. A thlog is not about reacting to others' views. Instead, it offers original, visionary thoughts on a position.

Obviously I'm not running a thlog here.

And as of this morning, a Google search for "thlog" produces this:

Screenshot

I'd thay "thlog" ith a long way from being added to your lith of houthhold wordth.

Posted at 6:06 PM to Blogorrhea

I had the same reaction as Google. They must mean thong. Either that, or something in a Klingon dictionary.

Posted by: sya at 8:09 PM on 27 November 2006

It does look vaguely like tlhIngan Hol, doesn't it?

Posted by: CGHill at 8:27 PM on 27 November 2006

a "thlog," which is simply a blog that advocates a position and sticks with it.

As opposed to all the other blogs out there whose owners never seem to advocate the same position from one day to the next. WTF?

Actually, the name for a blog that almost never reacts to anyone else's views is Yippee-Ki-Yay! Almost all my reacting is done in comment threads.

Posted by: McGehee at 9:25 PM on 27 November 2006

Probably the reason Google doesn't return any results for "thlog" is because, like many terms that are coined, initially it is not part of mainstream culture. "Web2.0" didn't register with Google either the first few times it appeared in the media. Neither did "vlog," for that matter.

Just a different point of view.

Posted by: astroturf1 at 10:49 PM on 27 November 2006

On the other hand, if this is a newly-created buzzword, at least some of the A-list bloggers would have picked up on it by now, which they haven't.

And "blog" itself is a fairly barbaric yawp of a word; a new set of consonants doesn't confer any euphony on it.

Posted by: CGHill at 7:22 AM on 28 November 2006

My guess is that Ms. Kunkel is just planting some viral marketing smack out there hoping to start the "next wave" or some such crapola. My favorite part was the quote about HER clients geting better jobs and realizing their DREAMS. Dead giveaway for the hair plug of marketing genre. I dream it and it comes true ... pass the crack pipe.

Posted by: Ron at 8:46 AM on 28 November 2006

You're probably right, it's not going anywhere and the article smacked of the Oklahoman printing a press release with minor changes. Slow news day.

However, just to be sure, I spent $30 bucks and bought the domains thlogs.com, thlogger.com, and thlog.com (which is still transfering from original owner). Probably a waste of money, but then I thought the word 'blogs' was stupid. I'll drop some silly ad pages on the domains later this week. Usually I make up the costs from doing things like this, sometimes not.

What's stunning about this woman quoted in the article is that she went on about her new idea 'thlogs', but failed to lock up the word on the internet, proof that she's either just winging it and made up the word on the spot, or too stupid to fully realize the potential of her own ideas. Either way, she's not someone I'd pay to advise me.

She can happily forward a check for the domains to me at...

Posted by: Me at 9:54 AM on 29 November 2006

What will you charge to host a website on thlogs.com?

Posted by: McGehee at 10:28 AM on 29 November 2006

Not planning to host anything, but thanks. Just holding the words, running ads for people who wander by from a search result, and waiting to see if the word catches on. If it does, someone might want to buy the domain later.

It's speculation. I do it on about three dozen domains, most of which cover the 8.95 annual renewal fee from the ads. One time (in three years) I scored on a really good name and made $10k from someone in Chicago who really wanted it. Otherwise it's just a break-even gamble. Thlogs might be good, might be worthless. I suspect if I called her now she'd give a few hundred for the three of them. Or perhaps she's stupid, and is brand-building a domain name that belongs to me. Good for her!

Posted by: Me at 11:03 AM on 29 November 2006

In that case, don't forget to grab thlogspot.com too. ;-)

Posted by: McGehee at 2:37 PM on 29 November 2006

Now all we need is someone to invent a program called Thlogger.

Posted by: CGHill at 5:34 PM on 29 November 2006