14 February 2007

On the firefly platform

On Sunny Googe Street:

Googe!

Alternate title: The First Noel.

Posted at 1:48 PM to Say What?

Very cute. I've seen that as a Christmas card in various ways but never with Google. Do you suppose someone just plain goofed? Pretty odd, if so. I'm going to put it on my blog too - and give you credit, of course! - cuz it's so strange. They've gotta have proofreaders, don't they???!!!!

Posted by: jau at 1:54 PM on 14 February 2007

Maybe they think the stem is L enough. (I don't.)

Posted by: CGHill at 2:00 PM on 14 February 2007

The Register (dot CO dot UK) had the same point and someone from Googe said that yes, the green stem was intended to be the L

Posted by: Mel at 3:32 PM on 14 February 2007

What would be Extremely Cool would be if they acknowledged the Googeness by rendering it Googlle (with an extra L) tomorrow. Without explanation, of course.

Posted by: CGHill at 3:37 PM on 14 February 2007

...but did a violent hash smoker shake a chocolate machine?

My, my, they sigh.

Posted by: Francis W. Porretto at 5:57 PM on 14 February 2007

"someone from Googe said that yes, the green stem was intended to be the L"

No way that stem comes across as an "L". They only get away with it here because you are 100% anticipating it. Someone goofed, and is now Covering Up.

But then... "The First Noel"? Shame. Shame.

Posted by: Mister Snitch! at 6:51 PM on 14 February 2007

Well, the Official Google Blog says it was intended that way.

Posted by: Mel at 12:04 AM on 15 February 2007

Yes, Mel, it says:

"When you look at the logo, you may worry that we forgot our name overnight, skipped a letter, or have decided that "Googe" has a better ring to it. None of the above. I just know that those with true romance and poetry in their soul will see the subtlety immediately."

In other words, Google's telling us that the intelligent, honest, and otherwise virtuous will be able to see the Emperor's... uh, the "L".

No matter. It's bad typography, for reasons including:

In the Google logo, none of the letters form a ligature (are connected). The strawberry, as they want you to accept it, is a ligature. (And it's a ligature "not found in nature" - I have never seen a "g" connected with an "L" in a non-script face such as Google uses.)

The "g" is much larger than the "L", which would ordinarily not be the case.

The "L" starts somewhere way above the baseline, for no good reason.

The "L" appears exactly where we ordinarily see a serif on the "g".

These basic legibility factors tell the reader that this is no "L", but an extended serif on the "g". Google maintains otherwise. I'm telling you, they're evil.

Others singing the "Noel" chorus include:

Fergie

Fireangel

The Merc News

Evereything & Anything

Posted by: Mister Snitch! at 8:43 AM on 15 February 2007

But ... It's Google. Do No Evil™ and all. They can't be wrong.

And to be honest, my first reaction when seeing it was "They forgot the L".

Posted by: Mel at 11:51 AM on 15 February 2007