12 September 2007

A ripping yarn

Rebecca Brown gets a Brazilian, and You Are There.

Actually, I'm not so sure I want to be there: the very mention of the topic tends to induce involuntary nerve activity of a sort I do not particularly enjoy. But in the end, so to speak, morbid curiosity won out, and I found this quote from "San Francisco skincare and waxing goddess" Marilyn Jaeger, to this effect:

If you want to sell the house, you’ve got to mow the lawn.

[Insert joke about evicting tenants here.]

Terry saw the piece on Digg, and posed this question:

If Digg comments are any indication, there are a lot more men big on the idea than there are women willing to rip it out. I wonder what the reaction would be if the situation were reversed?

Honestly, I don't know. I wince at the thought. But I'll tell you what: you get a guy persuaded that the procedure will guarantee him more, um, attention paid to this region, and he'll be down there with a frickin' belt sander.

Posted at 2:29 PM to Almost Yogurt

The whole concept of the thing scares me. It's times like this that I'm tempted to declare myself a "Conscientious Objector in the War of the Sexes."

And here I always thought the phrase "Love Hurts" applied to the emotional end of things...

Posted by: fillyjonk at 3:33 PM on 12 September 2007

Heh. She said "Hoo hoo."

Posted by: Jeffro at 5:32 PM on 12 September 2007

Could someone please explain to me, once and for all, why men are into this kind of thing? Doesn't the appearance of hairless anatomy suggest, in a disturbing way, a pre-pubescent girl?

Keeping the hedges trimmed is one thing, but pulling up all the damn landscaping is another entirely.

Posted by: Sarah at 7:02 PM on 12 September 2007

Sarah - personally I like the idea of a landing strip or triangle. I expect I don't like it bare for the reasons you mentioned. And, as far as it goes, I really don't mind the lawn unmowed and untended.

But, yeah, completely bare is weird in a child molesting kind of way.

Posted by: Jeffro at 7:11 PM on 12 September 2007

A while ago, I read an article about some woman getting horrible crotch infections from doing this. After reading that, why would any sane person go waxing?

Posted by: sya at 8:19 PM on 12 September 2007

Sounds like the way Osama ought to have his beard removed.

Posted by: McGehee at 8:57 PM on 12 September 2007

Yeah, but she said "sane person."

Posted by: CGHill at 8:58 PM on 12 September 2007

Count me in on the fans of the Brazilian wax. It's not about sex (we never do that anymore)(not my choice). I just feel cleaner.

It didn't hurt that much, honestly. But then, I compare all pain to labor, and I haven't found anything yet that hurt that much (and even THAT wasn't unbearable, really). So I figure I'm probably tougher than average.

Posted by: GradualDazzle at 9:40 PM on 12 September 2007

If there's anything consistent in human history, it would be these things:

1. We modify our hair patterns at whim;
2. People always seek new sensations and modes of sensation.

Now, the hair on what Dave Barry has called "your personal area" was, in times past, left undiscussed. It simply wasn't considered a fit subject for discourse, to say nothing of display. But I'd bet a pretty that pubic hair removal has been popular for a lot longer than it's been, pardon the expression, in the public eye. It makes certain sex acts more pleasant. For some of us, it makes them acceptable, whereas in the hirsute state they're, uh, not.

And that's about all I'd care to say on the matter.

Posted by: Francis W. Porretto at 3:55 AM on 13 September 2007

I'll tend to agree with Fran, though ... there's always barrettes.

Posted by: McGehee at 7:31 AM on 13 September 2007

McGehee: or braiding...

I'm probably one of those dinosaurs Fran is talking about: I find the subject not fitting for discussion.

Posted by: Tat at 11:02 AM on 13 September 2007