1 September 2007

Didn't finish the crossword, either

This showed up yesterday on Mediabistro:

A tipster tells us staffers at TV Guide have been told that there will be a mandatory 3pmET meeting today, where it will be announced that the print edition will be discontinued with the final issue being the Fall Preview. The tipster says TV Guide Channel and TVGuide.com will continue.

This makes three magazines to which I subscribe which have died this year. As always, the only question remaining is "What will they send me in its place?" Sometimes these selections are at least marginally astute: some years ago Brill's Content sold off its subscription list to Mother Jones, which I didn't mind particularly and which I still read. On the other hand, this past spring Premiere was replaced by Us Weekly, the equivalent of being forced to trade your Volvo sedan for a hat full of bus passes and a two-for-one coupon at the free clinic.

Update: Mediabistro recants, as noted in Comments.

Further update: Brian J. Noggle takes the lead in Abandoned Subscriptions.

Posted at 9:15 AM to Dyssynergy

I confess I read this bit of news with no small amount of relief. My wife has been insisting on subscribing to it -- and reading it at bedtime.

Which by itself isn't so bad except that every so often she feels compelled to call my attention to something she's reading. At bedtime.

Posted by: McGehee at 10:35 AM on 1 September 2007

You got another magazine instead of Brill's Content? I got a letter that said "Thanks, sucker."

Posted by: Brian J. at 12:33 PM on 1 September 2007

Perhaps they felt compelled to give me something because I'd just sent the renewal check.

Posted by: CGHill at 12:35 PM on 1 September 2007

Good news!

From MediaBistro:

Correction: A TVGuide spokesperson says the reports of the print edition's demise, are wholly untrue. Here's the statement from spokesperson, Julie Farin:

"TV Guide magazine is alive and well. There was no mandatory meeting today; like most businesses, our offices closed at 1pm for the holiday weekend. Everything is business as usual at TV Guide magazine as we are busy preparing for the new fall television season as well as our 5th annual after party celebrating the Emmys on September 16."

TVNewser had reported that a mandatory staff meeting was scheduled for this afternoon to announce changes to the publication. We regret the error.

Posted by: MikeSwi... at 2:43 PM on 1 September 2007

As the river said when it found its way blocked, "Dam!"

Posted by: McGehee at 4:53 PM on 1 September 2007

I haven't bought or even looked at a TV Guide since they dropped the local listings.

TV Guide Channel on DishNet is just about useless, but then again you don't really need it since you'd have the on-screen guide anyway.

Posted by: Dan B at 5:16 AM on 2 September 2007

As the river said when it found its way blocked, "Dam!"

Huh. McGehee and his talking rivers.

Posted by: Mister Snitch! at 4:00 PM on 2 September 2007

They're more intelligent than the brooks, you have to admit.

Posted by: McGehee at 7:27 PM on 2 September 2007

Some of those brooks do indeed babble, though not Mel.

Posted by: CGHill at 9:04 PM on 2 September 2007