28 September 2007

Not even a service pack can save you

Trini didn't write this, but I'd bet she'd agree with it every bit as much as I do:

I was unfortunate enough to be given a laptop this morning featuring Windows Vista — I was supposed to configure it, thus allowing the damn thing to connect to our school wireless network. I hope I never get to see Vista again in my life.

OMFG!!!!!!! yes it needs all those exclamation marks. What happened to network neighborhood, right click, properties insert ip manually?

That sort of made sense, and we can't have that.

2 hours of my life I'll never get back — I put the laptop back in the box lest I toss me and it out the window. Pure aggravation! WTF was MS thinking?

They were thinking, "We need to soak the users for a few more dollars while we still can."

Update, 11 October: Further thoughts from Lynne.

Posted at 9:19 PM to PEBKAC

It seems the reaction to Vista is quite split. I only know one person who is using it and he loves it. He says "yeah it's different but that makes it more interesting".

General internet reaction as I see it is either "it sucks" or "it's great" and not much inbetween.

Personally not even tempted to get it (yet) :)

Posted by: ms7168 at 6:35 AM on 29 September 2007

Drowning in treacle is arguably different, hence more interesting, but hardly worth going through.

Posted by: CGHill at 8:47 AM on 29 September 2007

Upgrading to Vista from XP is about the same choice we had going from Win98SE to Millennium - not so much.

Posted by: Jeffro at 11:18 AM on 29 September 2007

I get called on for a lot of help with Vista especially on the commercial side where Microsoft allows them to 'downgrade' back to XP.Most people don't like change (or not a lot of it all at once) so that's a significant factor too though there are still some compatibility issues with hardware and software to be resolved.

Posted by: Emalyse at 11:19 AM on 29 September 2007

I have had very little issues with Vista other than compatibility with older hardware and some software. As far as the wi-fi setup problems it is actually pretty straight forward, Microsoft has invested quite a bit of time and effort in it's Vista help files and in customer support perhaps the writer should have used the help offered by the company instead of just bitching about his ignorance.

Posted by: T Town Tommy at 7:17 PM on 29 September 2007

I did some work on two Vista machines a short time back. I had no problems with setting up 'net access through the router with either machine but no matter what I tried--I followed every "suggestion" on Microsoft's website a dozen times on each machine--I could NOT get either machine to see any other machine on my network. Never mind that I really didn't need to do this as neither machine was going to stay here; I made the attempt(s) just to see if I could do it. That's ten or so hours I'll never get back.

Posted by: unimpressed at 10:04 AM on 4 October 2007

I can assure you I'm far from ignorant my dear just a firm believer in "if it isn't broke don't fix it"

Posted by: Lynne at 6:45 PM on 10 October 2007

Rather a lot of Microsoft's business model seems dependent on breaking it on a regular basis.

Posted by: CGHill at 7:07 PM on 10 October 2007

Uh huh, and the 'fixes' following the breaks inevitably screw up something else. I bet there are a bunch of scientists out there, making a note of all of us who break while trying to insert an IP address - an evil MS experiment ;)

Posted by: Lynne at 8:24 AM on 11 October 2007