24 November 2007

Weirdness, thy name is CBS

It is now alleged that there exist "intimate" photographs of CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric, and that the person who has them wants to be paid off:

The latest issue of our favorite tabloid, the National Enquirer, has a story claiming that there are ... cringe-worthy photos possibly coming. 50 year-old gummy-grinning newscaster Katie Couric is being blackmailed for $1 million over photos that her 33 year-old boytoy, Brooks Perlin, left at a party. Katie's camp claims they’re just friendly vacation snaps, but why would someone try to extort a million bucks out of Katie for some tame personal pictures?

Two observations:

1. Haven't we already seen more of Katie than we wanted to?

2. We never had this kind of problem with Dan Rather. (Of course, if we had, the photos would presumably have been exposed as fakes.)

I just hope to God if there's anything at all, it's just still photos; I'm not even slightly prepared for video.

Posted at 3:27 PM to Dyssynergy

With apologies to Tom Petty:

Take back Katie Couric

Give 'em all some place to go

I refuse to watch her.

Posted by: Jeffro at 3:51 PM on 24 November 2007

Hrrmmm, I had the closing italic tags after go, not after Couric in the previous post.

Posted by: Jeffro at 3:52 PM on 24 November 2007

The parser, for some reason, assumes the line break means a new paragraph and closes the tag. I assume this is considered a feature rather than a bug.

Posted by: CGHill at 4:01 PM on 24 November 2007

Were the photos faxed in from a Kinko's in Texas?

Posted by: david at 5:28 PM on 24 November 2007

> but why would someone try to extort a million bucks out of Katie for some tame personal pictures?

For a million bucks. It's worth a shot, isn't it? Didn't someone just recently try to blackmail someone with really tame, fully clothed pictures?

Posted by: Dave M at 7:06 PM on 24 November 2007

He left them at a party?! Yeah, right. What slime.

Posted by: Terry at 8:02 PM on 24 November 2007

... now if they were pictures of Meredith Vieira ...

Posted by: Dan B at 3:48 PM on 25 November 2007

How bad could they be? After all, somewhere there's video of Katie's exhaust system inspection as I recall.

Posted by: mike at 3:43 AM on 1 December 2007

Indeed. For that matter, I have Actual Polyp Shots from my own, um, excursion in this realm, though I can't think of any good reason why anyone would want to see them, and anyway they were buzzcut out of the loop at some point in the procedure while I was utterly insensate.

If my referrer logs are to be believed, there might actually be some hemidemisemisalacious photos of Meredith Vieira out there. And frankly, I think she makes a better fantasy figure.

Posted by: CGHill at 2:37 PM on 1 December 2007