19 January 2008

Cited for failure to hate

Mitt Romney does the Tonight Show, and the following interchange ensued:

JAY LENO: When you were governor, did you have any interaction with either Barack or Hillary? Did you know them? Did you work with them?

MITT ROMNEY: I did not. I met the President, President Clinton, a couple of times. He's a very engaging person. I met Barack Obama. We both appeared at the Gridiron Club, where we told jokes and we had fun doing that together. He's got a lovely wife. My wife thinks she's just terrific.

JAY LENO: So you never really had any —

MITT ROMNEY: No business with those guys. More business with Ted Kennedy. You know, I ran against Ted Kennedy.

JAY LENO: Right.

MITT ROMNEY: You know, he's a hard‑working guy. He does his best. I disagree with him on virtually every issue, but we came together a couple of times, and frankly, I like Ted Kennedy.

For some reason, this got Michelle Malkin's Hanes in a wad:

"Like" is not a word a conservative should use when referring to the Senate’s biggest windbag, eco-hypocrite, shamnesty supporter, race demagogue, and conservative judicial nominee slimer.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. This is the Tonight Show, after all: some sort of camaraderie, even if forced, is the order of the day. Save the mud for Olbermann or O'Reilly.

Except that there isn't any mud to be saved. I have no reason to think Romney was being insincere. I have friends at least as far left as Ted Kennedy, and I don't feel compelled to burnish whatever conservative bona fides I may have by bashing them.

Besides, this was the next bit of the conversation:

JAY LENO: Who do you think has a bigger head, you or Ted Kennedy?

(Laughter.)

MITT ROMNEY: Oh, boy, it's a competition. All three of us could join. Do you know that?

Maybe it was the talk of big heads that motivated Malkin to make herself look small.

Posted at 10:57 AM to Political Science Fiction

TrackBack: 11:32 AM, 20 January 2008
» No sin from Rene's Apple
You know, it really is okay to like people whose politics you disagree with. Political convictions aren't indications of moral worth, or the lack of it, for cryin' out loud. Politics may be "war by another name", but even wars have their occasional res......[read more]

You have left friends? What do you talk with them about - snow cleaning? grass clippers? shoes? Mmm, dunno...even these topics would seem dangerously close to disagreement.
It usually goes something like this:
A: what a nice pair I saw yesterday on Zappos; too bad they are over $300, and that's my limit.
B: yes, shoes are expensive. You might have had your shoe limit higher if the economy wouldn't go down so sharp. It's those stupid Republicans and their chimp wouldn't waste money on the war!

[I just had a similar conversation in a Russian Deli, of all places. With an American, who blamed high milk price on war in Iraq]

Posted by: Tatyana at 5:25 PM on 19 January 2008

All I need to do is remember Will Rogers' advice:

"Now you take, for instance, a Republican. There's a lot of people who won't speak or associate with one. They think they would catch some grafting disease, but I have met several of them and you take one, when he is out of office, and he is as nice a fellow as you would want to meet."

Posted by: CGHill at 7:43 PM on 19 January 2008

The funny part is, Chaz, that it is going only one way: you can find a common ground with a Republican while maintaining mutually respectful distance, but a Democrat will want to lecture you and tax you, and stick labels and categorize people. They are generally prone to sticking their noses into your business. I'm talking a real-life, non-political level of communications here.

Oh how I know them - I'm about the only non-Democrat in the office of 40 people, in the city of Democratic dominance, in the State with Democratic majority.

Posted by: Tatyana at 7:56 PM on 19 January 2008

My neither-fish-nor-fowl status — I am registered as a Democrat, but I'm somewhere near the center, perhaps even a titch to the right — makes it possible for me to catch flak from both sides. And Rogers' advice works in either direction.

Posted by: CGHill at 8:28 PM on 19 January 2008

I disagree, obviously - about the advice working in either direction.

See, I generally dislike people. Among that pool the nosy, the "do what I say", the "I know what's better for you" types trigger genuine revolt in me. Where I live I find that type is prevalent among Democrats.

But I admit I haven't lived in Huckabee's demographic areas...

Posted by: Tatyana at 10:16 PM on 19 January 2008

Where does Tatyana live? Might she want to trade places? Us lefties are kind of in the minority here.

Posted by: Sarah at 6:32 PM on 20 January 2008

Sarah, can't you guess? NY, NY.
Trading places: 2 major reasons I won't move - 1) I don't drive (and don't want to learn)
2) don't think job market for commercial interior designers is as developed anywhere outside of NY.

Otherwise - Chaz' previous post on NY/OK comparison was very compelling.

Posted by: Tat at 10:16 AM on 21 January 2008