So I got home, fired up the old (well, the newer) desktop box, and about three minutes into the session the power glitched enough to send my UPS into spasms. The machine rebooted, as it is wont to do, and nothing much was remarkable about the process.
Except that one of Windows’ irritating little balloons popped up, telling me that my antivirus program was turned off. (I won’t mention any names, but its initials are CA.) I duly cranked up the program’s Screen of Woe, and sure enough, Real-Time Protection and Email Protection had been toggled off. I toggled them back on, and of course a reboot was demanded; nothing much was remarkable about the process.
And one of Windows’ irritating little balloons popped up, telling me that my antivirus program was turned off. Same situation as before. This time I hit up the support options, and for a change, there were some. The first offering: a quick-and-dirty downloadable patch, which installed in a matter of seconds. Reboot. No results. Next step: a less-quick, less-dirty, patch that comes with someone typing in a corner of your screen at you if things get bad enough. I fired it up, and it decided things weren’t bad enough: it sent me another, different patch, which worked just as well as the previous one.
At this point I was about to call Hair Club for Men, just so I’d have something to rip out in frustration. I downloaded a fresh copy of the install (110 MB, geez), and uninstalled the existing version. First uninstall screen was to reproach me for taking out something that had saved or uncreated 125,000 viruses. I hit the Too Bad button, and out it went. Reboot.
I did the reinstall, fishing my registration number out of the email drawer, and it went well enough until registration was demanded. It took me rather a long time to figure this one out: in the process of not ripping my hair out, I had gotten my 2008 registration code, which perforce had expired, and they wanted a large sum of money to extend the subscription.
By now an hour and a half had passed, I hadn’t gotten to dinner, and I’d managed only a feeble tweet on the subject. Apparently what had happened was that the power failure had occurred during a download of software updates, resulting in some unspecified number of corrupted files, one of which was the actual updating engine, so I couldn’t retrieve those updates, and the product shut itself down lest something horrible happen. Evidently CA puts the “bust” in “robust.”
I have six and a half months left on this license. At the moment, I am disinclined to renew.