20 February 2004
It goes to show you never can tell
Lesley at Plum Crazy passes on this insane but simple meme:
[T]urn on your mp3 player, set it to random, and list the first 20 songs that play, regardless of how embarrassing.
Well, okay. There are 1331 songs on the playlist on this box, mostly fairly mainstream. Let's see what happens:
1. "Silhouettes," a case of mistaken identity in the Herman's Hermits remake.
2. "Wonderland by Night," Bert Kaempfert's lovely instrumental with a hair-raising trumpet part.
3. "Zip Code", the Five Americans once again turning a communications medium into a song (cf. "Western Union").
4. "No More Mr. Nice Guy," the Alice Cooper manifesto.
5. "Flowers on the Wall," the Statler Brothers statement on loneliness.
6. "Loser," transmogrified from the Beck original into ultra-lounge by Richard Cheese.
7. "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head", B. J. Thomas reminding us of Butch and Sundance.
8. "Diamonds and Rust," in which Joan Baez remembers what used to be.
9. "Wild Thing," an example of Boston Soul from the pseudonymous "Senator Bobby."
10. "The Loco-Motion", a little bit of rhythm and a lot of soul from Little Eva.
11. "Let Me Go the Right Way," a very early Supremes track with Florence, rather than Diana, on lead.
12. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," another shot of B. J. Thomas, this time channeling Hank Williams.
14. "Walk Away," Donna Summer's blend of torch and dance.
15. "Kazooed on Klassics," by the Temple City Kazoo Orchestra, which I hope needs no explanation.
16. "Electric Avenue," in which Eddy Grant anticipates a department at Montgomery Ward.
17. "Courtney Love Stinks," a Bob Rivers Twisted Tune.
18. "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)," dark sarcasm from Pink Floyd.
19. "When Liking Turns to Loving," Ronnie Dove on the cusp.
20. "Metamorphosis," a ten-minute sonata of sorts by a mid-Seventies version of Curved Air.
If nothing else, this might explain why I usually keep the radio on the classical station, or spin one of the 40 CD-Rs I store at deskside.
TrackBack: 7:01 PM, 20 February 2004
» Watch out, it's contagious... from ronbailey's weblog
I don't know who started it, but Leslie and Charles are both guilty of spreading it around. That fact established, I figured I might as well join the fun... The rules: Fire up your MP3 player, set it to shuffle...[read more]
TrackBack: 11:25 AM, 21 February 2004
» Sing along from Twisted Spinster
Inspired or something by this post of Charles', I decided to listen to my entire My Music directory. (Yes, I just obediently file all my downloaded songs in the pre-provided "My Music" directory that came with my WinXP setup.) The thing is, I ......[read more]
TrackBack: 11:04 PM, 22 February 2004
» THE RANDOM 20 from The Critical 'I'
1. "Dancing Queen", ABBA 2. "Love For Sale", Talking Heads 3. "Boom! I Got Your Boyfriend", 20 Fingers 4. "What Goes On", Velvet Underground 5. "War In A Babylon", Max Romeo 6. "Above The Clouds", Amber 7. "Never Enough (Big mix)", The Cure 8.......[read more]