In review, as it were
Random bits from the Day of Wreckoning:
- Number of good ol' boys who stopped to offer assistance: 6
- Number of good ol' girls: 2
- Of these eight, number who were driving trucks: 8
- Elapsed time from impact to first apparent buzzard reconnaissance: 1 hour, 39 minutes
- Available cell-phone signal, in bars: 0, sometimes 1; hit 2 long enough for me to call 911, Triple A, and the insurance company
- Time before the state Department of Wildlife Conservation arrived to investigate: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- When I had expected them to investigate: Sometime today
- Impact on my driving record: None, says the Highway Patrol; it is recorded as an "incident"
- Impact on my insurance premium: To be determined next billing is in November though I expect at least a 25-percent increase
- Total length of Oklahoma State Highway 3: 616.5 miles
- Length of 3 I've driven: 344.1 miles
- Length of 3 I'd have driven had I been able to complete yesterday's route: 497.1 miles
And one pertinent quote from one of the good ol' boys, on the subject of mortality:
If it's not your time, it doesn't matter what you do. And if it is your time, it doesn't matter what you do.
It would appear that it wasn't my time. I once attempted to quantify this:
[T]he number of times you cheat Death equals the number of times you cross his path minus one.
I continue to be one up on that scythe-wielding son of a bitch.
Posted at 9:33 AM to World Tour '06