Teenage angst, extended

Since, after all, she’s twenty:

Hello! I am a 20 year old full time college student with a part time job. Recently my mother decided to take my car away after a friend dropped me off at home late with a couple alcoholic drinks. I understand minors in possession are wrong, but i was not driving. I have just put 700$ worth of new tires and a spare rim on the car as well as a new radio and speakers installed. the car is legally under her name but my God parents are the people who put a down payment in order for me to first get the car. along with all this money I’m not getting back, She claimed me on her income tax and got a significantly larger amount of money for me being a full time student. With this extra money, she went out and bought herself a preowned truck. I have only been living with my mother again from mid January to april 4th 2018. before hand i was staying with my god parents after coming home from university in early 2017. What should i do? is there anything i can do? I am hoping to finish this semester off and keep my job but things aren’t looking so great right now because i am now homeless. send advice my way!

Drama major, you think?

Quiz time! At what age is this girl going to reach functional, as distinguished from legal, adulthood?

  • 26
  • 31
  • 36
  • 41
  • Don’t hold your breath

Bonus question: Do you think that maybe she needs some new friends?


  1. fillyjonk »

    9 April 2018 · 11:37 am

    Cranky person here but: she should be flipping grateful they didn’t tell her “good luck, write if you get work” at 18 and send her out into the world.

    (Disclaimer: I lived with my parents as a grad student, but I WAS grateful for that. And I never came home drunk even though I was of age by that point. And I think they had quit claiming me as a dependent, even, by then)

    She also needs to take a (virtual) breath

  2. McGehee »

    9 April 2018 · 1:44 pm

    50 years from now she’ll be touring the country blaming her mom for why she isn’t President.

  3. jsallison »

    10 April 2018 · 8:17 pm

    Well for starters, she could file her own return for last year claiming her own exemption. Since mom already has she’ll need to file a paper return. This will start the process for resolving competing claims. She might wind up putting mom in the position of having to pay back her ill-gotten (if so) gains. It will take several months, 6 is not uncommon, to resolve. Best to move out, though, if she does that. Momma won’t be happy.

RSS feed for comments on this post