You’d almost expect something like this to happen on The Simpsons:
A man dying from alcohol poisoning was saved after doctors in Vietnam pumped 15 cans worth of beer into his body.
The 48-year-old, Nguyen Van Nhat, fell unconscious and was taken to a hospital in the central Vietnamese province of Quang Tri on December 25 where doctors found that levels of methanol — a dangerous form of alcohol — in his body were more than 1,000 times over the recommended limit, the Daily Mirror reported.
When he arrived, medical staff at the General Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit, led by Dr. Le Van Lam, immediately administered him three cans of beer, equivalent to about 1 liter. Over the course of the day, doctors transfused a total of 15 cans of beer into the man’s body at a rate of about one every hour. This slowed down the rate at which his liver processed the methanol, allowing doctors to save his life.
Beer, sweet beer. Is there nothing it can’t do?