1. An actual name. I’m starting to lean toward “Scissortails,” just because it seems so implausible.
2. An actual shooting guard. Yeah, Kevin Durant’s been playing there, but he just seems like a natural small forward, and the team is short on guys who can consistently hit from the perimeter. Still, Sam Presti’s goal during this year’s draft seemed to be bolstering the defense, and I’m not about to knock a solid D if we can get one. And if everyone who was appalled at the thought of playing out on the prairie were dealt elsewhere, there’d be cap space the likes of which no one would believe. (Not gonna happen, though, especially since one of the dismayed was Durant.)
3. A TV guy. The long-time Sonics play-by-play man, Kevin Calabro, has already said he’s not moving. (Matt Pinto, who was hired by the Sonics last year to do radio, will be here.)
4. Someone to carry those TV games. I suspect Cox has the upper hand over FSN Southwest, but no deals have been announced.
5. Someone to carry those radio games. We can probably eliminate the Renda group, since they have serious OU obligations. This leaves either Clear Channel (any number of stations) or Citadel (probably the Sports Animal).
6. A temporary practice facility. When the Hornets were here, they practiced at Southern Nazarene University in Bethany; SNU has said they’d be happy to make arrangements for the, um, Scissortails, and Oklahoma City University reportedly would be amenable to the idea. It was suggested on an Oklahoman comments page that they practice at Casady School in the Village, home of Bennett Athletic Center. No points for guessing which Bennett.
7. A place for a permanent practice facility. Steve Lackmeyer is taking suggestions for the location; the general feeling seems to be that it should be somewhere outside the city’s core, lest it conflict with other development goals.
8. An estimate of ticket prices. This is so I can start haranguing MasterCard for a higher credit limit.
9. Some locally-based blogs to cover the team. Given the generally excellent work done by Supersonicsoul and Sonics Central, whoever takes on the job no, not me; I have too many irons in the fire already has a hard act to follow.