Carpal diem

Because some kind soul was asking for it, Marko explains the Writer’s Bump:

The Writer’s Bump is a little callus on the middle finger of the writing hand of someone who writes with a pen a lot. As people have largely switched to computers for composition, the Writer’s Bump has gradually been replaced by new professional trademarks: the Writer’s Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and the Writer’s Extra Thirty Pounds From Sitting On One’s Ass Near A Fridge All Day Long.

I must point out here that my desk and my fridge are more or less in opposite corners of the house. Then again, no one’s likely to accuse me of being a writer, either.


  1. fillyjonk »

    2 February 2010 · 8:16 am

    I still have Writer’s Bump. I was always told I had gotten it because I held the pen or pencil way too tightly. (Actually, I do still write longhand a fair amount…I write exams out longhand first, and first drafts of journal article manuscripts. And you have to take field notes longhand unless you’re one of the lucky people with a grant that will buy you something like a Netbook…)

    And yeah, I probably do still hold things way too tightly. I’ve been known to inadvertently snap very small-gauge wood knitting needles.

  2. McGehee »

    2 February 2010 · 3:29 pm

    I remember writer’s bump but when I had one I didn’t know that’s what it was called. So when I saw the term for the first time I thought it was a celebratory thing one writer gives another when he (whichever) gets published.

    Sort of like a high-five for people with incurable writers’ cramp.

RSS feed for comments on this post