Ramones Leave Home is one of those albums that got edited shortly after the original release, owing to serious pearl-clutching over track 5, “Carbona Not Glue,” the lyrics of which expressed a definite preference among major juvenile huffing substances. Certainly, though, none of these young punks would actually drink carbon tetrachloride.
But hand sanitizer? That’s different:
A new report is cautioning parents about the risks of seemingly harmless liquid hand sanitizer, after an increase in calls to poison control centers about children who’ve ingested enough of substance to make them dangerously drunk.
Since 2010, poison control center hotlines in the United States have seen almost a 400% increase in calls related to kids under 12 consuming hand sanitizer, CNN reports, citing new analysis by the Georgia Poison Center.
The high alcohol content in liquid hand sanitizer — ranging anywhere from 45% to 95% alcohol, compared to wine and beer at 12% and 5% alcohol — can easily cause alcohol poisoning with just two or three squirts, experts say. Children may become confused, vomit or experience drowsiness, and in extreme cases, a child might stop breathing.
Obviously the kids would be better off buying beer — even Oklahoma 3.2-percent quasi-near-beer. And it wasn’t that long ago I, a person of Obvious Age, got carded for purchasing a can of Krylon spray paint.
There needs to be a central database for all the stuff kids will attempt to ingest in a desperate attempt to get a buzz. I suggest they call it the Huffing (Some) Post.